When our homes get flooded for one reason or another, it’s a hassle. Damage caused from water can be detrimental to our carpet and belongings and can be hazardous to our health. The prevention of mold is imperative in keeping the air quality in your home clean and healthy.
Water Removal & Flood Damage Cleanup, Repair & Restoration
If the flood you’re dealing with is from rain water, then the problems should be minimal if you’ve had the carpets properly cleaned and dried before mold or mildew had a chance to form. But if your flooding is the result of sewage water, then you have a big problem as it becomes a health risk. This is not a task you should take on yourself. The carpet in most cases is thrown away if you’re not planning in hiring professionals for the clean up effort.
How to Prevent & Stop Mold from Growing
Mold is the number one problem if your home has experienced water damage. All that’s needed for mold to start growing is a little moisture and a dark space. If the water isn’t completely removed, it’s very easy for mold to grow. The padding that’s under the carpet is usually unsalvageable because it acts like a sponge and will absorb lots of water. Mold can lead to respiratory problems like asthma as it makes the indoor air quality poor. If water isn’t removed from the floors completely it will start running up the walls and will soak into the sheet rock. This will allow the mold to begin infesting the walls and spread. If mold starts to grow inside the walls of your home the repair costs will soar. Rooms that had drywall will need to have the bottom section of the drywall cut open to at least 30 cm above where it got wet. Any mold detected on the drywall means that the drywall will need to be cut away and removed. It is impossible to clean mold from porous materials like drywall. After you’ve removed all the affected drywall it needs to be disposed of.
Water Damage Cleanup & Home Repair Process
1. Remove all the furniture and electrical items as soon as possible. Water and electricity do not mix! the power can be turned on if needed.
2. The walls, wood and non-upholstered furniture that was sitting in the flood water will need to be disinfected.
3. Commercial water extraction units need to be used to extract the water from the carpet and the padding. After this has been done the technician will have a better idea as to whether or not either will need to be replaced.
4. Other equipment that will be used to dry the home are fans and dehumidifiers along with bleach to kill germs.
5. If you’re lucky and the weather allows, open the windows if it isn’t very humid to facilitate the drying process.
Water & Flood Damage Restoration in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
The prevention of mold is imperative in keeping the air quality in your home clean and healthy so the number one goal in water damage restoration is extraction. After any flooding situation in your home it’s best to contact professionals to clean it up. They are experienced and will prevent any issues in the future so your family can stay healthy. Contact Carpet Care 2000 to help you get things back to normal as soon as possible.