Managing your office’s carpets can be difficult between staff and customers, particularly children’s accidental spills on the carpets. Spots and stains can really mar the appearance of a professional, well kept office. A stain that is on display in the middle of the floor can be very distracting and reflect a poor impression on any business. But cleaning up after these kinds of spills is easier said than done. In some situations, you may not even know these accidents occurred until it has set into a stain. Today, we at Carpet Care 2000 would like to touch on maintaining the spills on commercial carpets.
Causes of Commercial Carpet Stains
The primary causes of spots and stains on commercial carpets are the following:
1) Food consumption in the office. Employees and guests eating in the office is one of the biggest culprits to the effects of the messes. Many companies, for example, will reward or simply take care of their staff by offering an assortment of catered lunches or offering a stock pile of breakfast options to encourage productivity. Others will let staff members eat at their desks as well as allow customers waiting for service to eat or drink their refreshments or the snacks they bring themselves. No matter the how or why, employees and clients eating and drinking increases the risk of spills that can lead to stubborn stains.
2) Messy clients, particularly with kids. As mentioned, customers can be offered snacks and refreshments while they wait. However, most clients have little care for your office space and will rarely cleanup after themselves or even report a spill. The people that bring in children, especially toddler age frequently have juice boxes, fruit snacks, crackers, markers, and other snacks, drinks, and forms of entertainment that can be messy, leaving behind stains and spots in their wake.
3) Unreported spills and stains on carpet. One of the biggest problems is that few report spilling substances on commercial carpets. Some are embarrassed, others are afraid of the repercussions, and then there are those who simply do not care. When the spills go unreported, it gives the carpet the opportunity to absorb the substance where it then can become a potential stain. Dark liquids, coffee, wine, salad dressings, oils, and other foods can be a challenge to remove if they aren’t treated quickly.
How to Protect Commercial Carpet & Prevent Stains
To better manage the carpet spills, consider the follow approach to avoid carpet stains and spots in your commercial space:
1) Offer staff incentives. Presenting strong incentives or rewards for reporting carpet spills can help you get the spots treated quickly and combat potential stains more effectively. Getting the employees involved can make a difference. Offer a free lunch or gift cards for the department who have the cleanest carpet at the end of each quarter.
2) Use more recycle bins and fewer trash cans. Research suggests that when fewer trash cans are used, the waste and spills are significantly reduced. This cuts down eating at the desk time when the recycle bins are at every desk instead of trash cans. Having the trash cans in the common area will help keep eating in the located area.
3) Professional carpet cleaning. Where you can find ways to reduce the spills, they will still occur. But with professional commercial carpet cleaning 3-4 times a year, you can keep your carpets looking immaculate.