Your carpet was a sizable investment. Wanting to extend the longevity, beauty and durability is essential if you want to protect the said investment. Today we at, Carpet Care 2000 would like to take the opportunity to relate some tips and advice in the effort to help you extend the life of your carpet and keeping it clean and blemish free during that lifespan.
How to Make Carpet Last Longer
1. Keep as much dirt off carpet as possible. Dirt is surprisingly the primary cause of carpet deterioration. Dirt and dust attracts dust mites, which also aid in the wear and tear. When dust and dirt accumulate, a hidden stock pile makes it way under the carpet, and even under the padding. With the traction of the dirt, and folks walking back and forth, the natural action creates a sand paper effect, and wears out your carpet; eventually the carpet looks old, dingy, and unattractive and needs early retirement. If possible, insist everyone in your home wipes their feet, and takes their shoes off at the door. Avoid leaving windows and doors open on a windy day to avoid the amount of dirt your carpets get exposed to.
2. Vacuum carpet. With the related information regarding dirt, it is best to vacuum your carpets frequently. Make sure you have your vacuum setting to the appropriately for your style of carpet. Even in areas that don’t receive a lot of foot traffic, as dust and allergens settle on the carpets surface. For the high traffic areas, vacuum as needed or a minimum of 4 times a week or daily if needed. In the places where little to no foot traffic occurs, vacuum 1-2 times to keep the dust off.
3. Remove carpet stains as soon as possible. Whenever an accidental spill happens, it is best to tend to the stain as quickly as you can. Remove the stain accordingly to the type of stain it is can give it less of a chance to set in, and easier to lift. No matter if you choose commercial carpet cleaners, or prefer to make your own homemade cleaning solutions, always conduct a patch test in an inconspicuous are to ensure the cleaner doesn’t compromise the integrity of the carpet fibers, or the color.
4. Periodically rearrange your furniture. By rearranging your furniture every so often, you will create new foot traffic patterns as well as where the sun will shine in on the exposed carpet, naturally fading the away carpet’s hues. Moving the furniture will also help keep the divots from becoming too difficult to relax down the road.
5. Professional carpet cleaning. Hire a professional to come and clean your carpets 1-2 times a year. Even if your carpets still appear to be clean and are stain and/or odor free, a professional should still be called upon to remove the dirt that has penetrated beneath the surface.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
Carpet Care 2000 has the expertise, and experience in efficiently cleaning carpets. Using premium quality equipment and products exclusively offered to licensed professionals, we can ensure your carpets are treated with care and still receive an effective deep cleaning. Call us today to schedule your appointment!