When you choose to rent rather than buy, one of the driving forces is the fact that you don’t have to handle the repairs that come with regular wear and tear on a house or apartment. It is the responsibility of the landlord to make sure the house is a safe place for their tenants. However, there are some things that are a little blurry when it comes to the responsibility of the tenant versus the responsibility of the landlord to fix in a rental. Carpet Care 2000 is here to talk about whether or not carpet cleaning is the responsibility of a tenant or a landlord.
Are Dirty Carpets Unlivable?
There are definitely instances where the cleanliness of the carpet in your rental can be dirty enough that the place is considered unlivable. Honestly though, most people are talking about normal stains that happen on a daily basis. If you allow food and drink to be consumed in areas that have carpeted flooring, it can increase your risk of a spill happening and cleaning needing to be done. It is important to note that a spill or stain on the carpet from every day use, isn’t something that landlords tend to be in charge of cleaning. If a spill occurs on the carpet, it is a mess caused by the tenant and the tenant is therefore, in charge of cleaning it up.
Landlord Tenant Carpet Cleaning Law
If there is any question as to whether or not the landlord is responsible for cleaning it or you are, it is important that you know what your rights are and what your landlord is legally responsible for. Some of the most common places that you can look to find this information may be:
– County Building Codes
– State Tenant-Landlord Laws
– Terms of Your Lease
– Written or Oral Promises Made by the Landlord
Ideas to Get Your Carpet Cleaned
Following are a few ideas to get the ball rolling on getting your carpets cleaned.
– Talk to Your Landlord: If you have been a good tenant, your landlord may be more than willing to work with you to get your carpets taken care of.
– Repair Request: Sometimes it helps a landlord to see a request in writing. It may be worth your time to shoot and email or a text explaining what the problem is and what needs to be done to fix it.
– Mediation: Sometimes a third party that isn’t biased can be helpful in finding a solution that works for everyone. This is an avenue to take when nothing else has worked.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
If you are living in a home or apartment that is in dire need of carpet cleaning, you can turn to the experts at Carpet Care 2000 to help you get the filth out of your flooring. We are well versed in working with landlords and tenants alike. Call us today!