Carpets take a lot of abuse, especially if your have kids and pets in the home. Stains, discoloring and traffic lanes can have you replacing your carpets sooner than expected. Carpets that are well maintained will last longer and keep warranties in effect. Regular cleaning will also keep you carpets looking good, feeling good and smelling good for a long time. Plus, clean carpets are good for your health.
Carpet Cleaning Health Facts About Dirty Carpets
1. Dirt can tear at your carpet. Dirt finds its way into the fibers of your carpets. This dirt isn’t easy to see and its not easily removed with your vacuum cleaner. This dirt is grinding at your carpet fibers each time it’s walked on.
2. Carpets attract greasy residue and dirt. Your carpets also collect oily residue. This residue will trap and lock-in dirt to the fibers of your carpet. Over time, this dirt can change the color of your carpet and create ugly traffic lanes. Left untreated, it can become permanent.
3. Carpets harbor bacteria and germs. Carpet acts like a filter in trapping pollutants in the air. This is a good thing, but if it gets too full, it can’t trap them anymore. The only way to remove these pollutants is to have your carpets cleaned professionally.
4. Dirty carpets are bad news for allergies and asthma sufferers. Carpets can collect dust mites that can trigger asthma attacks and allergy issues. Many sufferers don’t realize that the cause is right under their feet. Even very healthy people can suffer when carpets are dirty.
5. Norovirus lives on carpet for 4-6 weeks. This virus can stick to your carpet and make your sick. Symptoms are similar to these that come with food poisoning or the stomach flu. It is a resilient virus that can survive in carpet for 4-6 weeks.
6. Need for a no shoes on carpet rule. Walking on your carpet with your shoes on tracks dirt into the home and grinds it into the carpet. You will need professional carpet cleaning to remove it all.
7. Carpets get heavier with ground in dirt. Carpets can hold a lot of dirt-as much as four times their weight. There are many allergens and pollutants that your carpet can hold. Vacuum often and have them cleaned professionally to remove all allergens and pollutant that are weighing it down.
8. 5 second rule doesn’t apply on dirty carpets. Carpets get dirty and bacteria can live in it for up to four weeks. Don’t rely on this rule when you drop something and then pop it in your mouth.
9. Carpet can be dirtier than a toilet seat. Carpet is a great option for your floors but with all the foot traffic it will get, it will get quite dirty. It’s a haven for germs and can be 4,000 times dirtier than your toilet seat!
10. Need for professional deep steam carpet cleaning. Most homeowners overlook just how dirty their carpets actually are. You can either clean them yourself or hire professionals to do it for you. Professionals can remove about 98 percent of dirt and pollutants from your carpets, making it the better option.