Any tiled surface will be effected by time, traffic, life and living. If you take the right steps in dealing with these effects, you can keep your tile looking as great as it did the day it was installed. There are methods that are better than others to maintain the beauty of your tile so it will look great and last longer.
Do’s & Don’ts in Tile Maintenance
If you’re looking for low maintenance and a high reward, then ceramic and porcelain tile are the answer. Keep these easy tips in mind to keep them looking their best for years to come.
• This tip cannot be stressed enough. Don’t use every day soap or detergent when you clean your tile. Doing so will only leave you with a filmy residue to dull the surface and encourages mildew and mold growth. Your beautiful tile will look cloudy and dull which is totally opposite of the look you want!
• Do use hot clean water with a mild detergent when you clean your tiled surfaces. This prevents any residue from staying on your tile.
• Do use a little bit of tile cleaner to clean your tile and stone; along with warm water and a soft cloth or damp sponge.
• Don’t use items that are abrasive to clean your tile. Items like steel wool pads or scouring powder can be harsh on tile. They will only dull and scratch the surface and any pieces of steel that get left behind will cause rust stains in the grout.
• Do make sure that any tile cleaner you use is non-acidic, non-alkaline and neutral. Using heavy alkaline cleaners just leaves you with a buildup of residue that can be almost impossible to remove and the residue just attracts more dirt anyway.
• Do use full strength, heavy duty tile cleaners on very dirty ceramic and porcelain floors.
• Don’t use ammonia-based cleaners or cleaners that are highly acidic because these can easily change the color of the grout you chose and can completely change the look of the tile that you worked so hard to pick out!
• Don’t use vinegar or bleach to clean your tile. These are acidic and can have a negative effect on your grout and they leave a film behind that can damage the natural shine by stripping the finish.
• Do make sure you act quickly when those inevitable spills happen. Immediate action helps you avoid costly damage of grout stains.
• Don’t move heavy items across your tile floors without being careful. Take some precautions and ask you family for help to avoid unnecessary damage.
• Do remember that if you need to repair any of your tile, the replacement may be slightly different than the original tiles. Tiles are made in batches, so the new tile may have a different dye lot and/or texture. Always keep any extra tile in case you need to repair or replace.
• Grout is susceptible to stains. Do apply a silicone sealer to grout joints for maximum protection.
Professional Tile & Grout Cleaning in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
Enjoying your tile floors is easy with a little love and care. Professional tile and grout cleaning is recommended for deep down cleaning. Trust the professionals at Carpet Care 2000 and give us a call today!