Household mold has been associated with many health problems, some that can be quite serious and even life-threatening, including respiratory problems, asthma attacks, pneumonia, migraines, and allergic reactions. Infants, the elderly, and those that with pre-existing health issues are most at risk, but anyone can be affected. If you have experienced water damage in your home, you need to take steps to prevent mold growth. Carpet Care 2000 offer some helpful tips below.
Tips to Prevent Mold After Leak or Other Water Damage
1. Control indoor moisture as much as possible. Mold thrives under humid conditions. The key to preventing mold and mildew growth is to control dampness. The worst water damage usually occurs in damp crawlspaces, in attics, walls where water has leaked in, and in basements that have poor drainage. When you stop leaks, ensure proper ventilation, and create a dry environment, you can do a lot to control mold and mildew.
2. Use fans that are big enough. You will also need to make sure you use fans that can properly clear out most of the moisture in the affected area.
3. Clean visible mold immediately. Any damp location can start to grow surface mold. To get rid of mold, scrub it with detergent and water and let the surface dry completely. You can also use a solution of 10 percent bleach and 90 percent water. Spray this solution on the affected areas and let it sit for 10 minutes. Then you can rinse and let it dry.
4. Use paint with mildewcide in damp areas. Once the area is ready for paint it’s important to make sure you use the right paint so you can prevent mold growth. Mildewcide paint is an effective way to control surface mold. Many paints already contain mildewcide, but you should check to make sure.
5. Stop any leaks as quickly as possible. A mold problem will get worse if you don’t stop the source of water. One plumbing leak can dump several gallons of water into your home every minute. You need to act fast and stop the leak. Shut the main water valve off and turn on the lowest faucet in your home to release any water that is likely to be in the pipes.
6. Start clean-up right away. The longer things stay wet, the more likely you are to have permanent damage. This can lead to mold problems that can cost you thousands of dollars to repair. Clean up before you try to fix anything.
7. Do not act rashly when cleaning up water damage. As quickly as you should cleanup, you should do it the right way. You may be tempted to work your way into the water and start grabbing your belongings, but you will need to take precautions as the water might be dangerous. It may contain toxic chemicals and dangerous bacteria. Plus, water and electricity together can be dangerous. Make sure the power is turned off to the area you’re cleaning.
8. Prevent the top causes of water damage. Lastly, take steps to prevent a plumbing catastrophe. Turn the main water valve off when you are going to be away for extended periods of time and use stainless steel “no-burst” hoses for your washing machine, toilets and faucets.