Whether you have children, or your inner child craves a popsicle, the summer time is the season for a refreshing cool treat. Where these spots on your carpet can be unsightly and even cringe worthy, these little popsicle stains on your carpet are not too labor intensive, especially with quick action, you beat these stains. With that in mind, we at Carpet Care 2000 would like to take the opportunity to list a couple of methods you can choose from to remove the popsicle stains from the carpet. Note: No matter if you use any of the below homemade remedies or a store-bought carpet cleaner, it is always recommended you do a patch test in an inconspicuous location to ensure the color or integrity of the carpet is not compromised.
How to Remove Popsicle Stains with Hydrogen Peroxide
You will need a few paper towels, cloths, and one towel (make sure they are plain white, or you risk transferring dye or print onto carpet). Spray bottle, equal parts hydrogen peroxide and water. Note that peroxide has the ability to lighten color and though it is diluted water and should not impact the carpets, use it at your own risk and do not skip the patch test.
1) In a spray bottle, add equal parts of hydrogen peroxide and water; shake well. Keep in mind that it will fizz some, so leave enough room in the bottle to allow the fizz.
2) Given the nature of this mixture, only lightly mist the area so the surface is damp; do not over saturate the carpet. Let the mixture sit (10-15 min for minor popsicle spots, no more than 30 minutes for larger stains).
3) Lightly mist plain water on the spot or use a damp cloth to lightly moisten the inflicted area. The stain should be noticeably lighter.
4) With a white cloth, blot the excess moisture out along with the popsicle residues. If the cloth becomes over encumbered with popsicle, rinse the cloth out or use a new one.
5) Dry the treated area with a white, dry towel by blotting the moisture out. Once the area is fully dried, vacuum the area to return the fibers back to their natural texture.
Oxi-Clean Popsicle Stain Removal
Avoid Oxi-clean with bleach as that can potentially lighten your carpet and do not skip the patch test. Grab a squirt bottle ½ cup Oxi-clean 16 oz. water (scale according to the size of the squirt bottle if necessary). Clean, white paper towels, cloths, and a towel.
1) Mix ½ cup Oxi-clean and 16 oz. water in a spray bottle and shake well.
2) Apply the mixture to the various spots and leave it on the surface for 5-15 minutes.
3) Lightly mist the area with pure water or use a damp a cloth to blot the area. Be sure to rinse the cloth as needed or use a fresh cloth.
4) Use your clean, dry towel to blot with more pressure the remaining moisture from the carpet.
5) Dry the area to relax the fibers after the carpet is completely dry.
Carpet Cleaning, Stain Removal & More in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
If you are still having a challenge removing the popsicle stains from your carpet, or any other stains for that matter, call Carpet Care 2000 and let our professionals combat that stubborn stains to restore them to their beauty.