Sofas are a prime spot in the living room. Ideal for lounging with a book, TV, or other electronic device, or even simply used for visiting in comfort. Over time, if nothing else, it develops odors simply from the natural sweat and oils people produce. Additionally, food, beverage, chemical, and substance spills are likely and other odor causing contaminants that will buildup, including pets. Even with routine care, combating the odors in between professional deep cleanings can help significantly control the odors from developing or neutralizing them when they do. Today we at Carpet Care 2000 would like to share some tips to neutralize odors on sofas.
Basic Upholstery Cleaning
Before you commence to eliminating odors, the sofa should undergo a basic cleaning, below you will find the steps.
Collect the following:
– Vacuum cleaner w/ hose and all the attachments
– Baking Soda
1) Using the vacuum’s hose and appropriate attachments, particularly the upholstery brush, vacuum up all of the dust, hair, and other debris from the surface. If necessary, pull out the sofa so you can get the back sides, back rest, arm rests, from, and front and back of the cushions as well as their sides.
2) Once all of the surface debris is removed, you can sprinkle the baking soda generously over the sofa’s surface. Be sure the cushions are set off to the side and treated separately. Allow the baking soda to soak in the fabric for about 15 minutes. The baking soda will absorb the odor molecules and remove the smells.
3) Vacuum the sofa again to remove the baking soda and the odors with it. The prior dirt and debris in addition to the baking soda will likely fill the canister or vacuum bad to capacity, be sure to empty it.
4) If the smells persist, lightly mist the sofa with white vinegar. Though the vinegar will improve the initial smell, it does destroy the bacteria that can be contributing to the odors. Do not over saturate, but a light mist so it can dry quickly.
Preventative Couch Maintenance
To help avoid pungent sofas, be sure to immediately cleanup spills. Even water can create a musty odor and any food or beverages left behind creates rotten odors. Start by using a dry, clean cloth to absorb any liquid and use a spoon or spatula to remove the chunks first. Follow the upholstery tag’s directions for specific washing directions and cleaners safe to use. Be sure to always perform a patch test on any chemicals or homemade used when cleaning the sofa to ensure it will not be compromised in anyway. Additionally, to better combat the odors from occurring, invest in a professional deep upholstery cleaning service every 6-12 months. Not only will it remove odors, but compacted soil, allergens, contaminates, spots, and stains.
Sofa Cleaning & More in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
Call Carpet Care 2000 today for your upholstery cleaning services. Our specialists deliver high quality upholstery cleaning, leaving your sofa clean, sanitized, and deodorized with the help of powerful equipment and to ensure maximum results.