Having the right carpet pad can make or break the feel of your carpet. You can choose the highest quality carpet and still get mediocre results if you don’t choose the right padding. Who knew there were so many carpet padding choices out there? Carpet Care 2000 is here to talk about the importance of choosing the right padding as well as some of the options that may be available to you.
Different Carpet Padding Specifications
When it comes to the carpet padding for your home, don’t make the mistake of thinking that the thicker your carpet pad, the better it will feel underfoot. If you choose a carpet pad that is too thick, you would see wrinkling and buckling under your carpet. Along with pad thickness comes the density of your carpet pad.
Appropriate Carpet Pad Thickness
For most residential settings, the ideal carpet pad thickness is 7/16”. This is usually the thickest you will want to have installed to keep your warranty valid. If you are having berber carpet installed or commercial grade carpet, you may have to use a special pad to increase the longevity of your carpet.
Carpet Pad Density
When choosing the density of the carpet padding, know that the denser the pad, the firmer the feel. Many landlords will choose to have a density rating of 3-5 because it is more cost effective. However, the most common density installed in residential settings is between 6 pounds and 8 pounds. While 6 pound density will feel softer underfoot, you will see better wear and more support for your carpet when you choose 8 pound density.
Types of Carpet Padding
There are several types of padding available to you. Here are some that you will commonly see.
• Rebond Pad– This is by far the most common type of padding used in residential settings. This is the most economical choice, but choose a rebond pad with high quality materials.
• Foam Padding– Incredibly thin as well as affordable. Best used in apartment settings where you expect to only get a few years out of it.
• Prime Urethane Foam– Designed for commercial settings and incredibly dense. Can be used in residential settings, but will more expensive and not as comfortable.
• Wool or Fiber Pad– Great choice for Berber carpet selections. It breathes well and is a great choice for high traffic areas.
• Specialty Pads– While they advertise these pads as being an excellent choice for pet owners, you will find they won’t be the cure all for your untrained pet. Be aware that you need to avoid pet urine at all costs even when choosing this pad.
Professional Carpet Cleaning in Tracy, Livermore, San Ramon, Dublin, Mountain House, Walnut Creek, Danville & the East Bay of California
No matter what pad you choose for your home, you will need to properly maintain you carpet with regular professional cleanings offered by the experts at Carpet Care 2000. We can help you extend the life of your carpet with our professional carpet cleaning services. We are affordable and work around your schedule to avoid disrupting your life. Call us today!